Wednesday 4 July 2007

Technology wonder 1: SecNurse


The Dutch company Secumatic claims that "the WeSpot SecNurse is the first sensor for care applications that offers comfort to the staff and more privacy to the patient."
Is this "care" device replacing observations from healthcare professionals, and does it have anything to do with nursing? What about patient integrity and confidentiality? Would I like to put this device in my bedroom when I get old myself- to have someone rushing into my room if I spend a little more time out of bed on something than planned?

Anyway, the SecNurse is an example of an ambient sensor implementation- placed in the patient's surroundings. To me this seems more like a straight forward surveillance system with very limited value. Is it smart enough to be a killer application? Is technology in itself valued too much in this case?

No comments: